Lavasa

Lavasa, Khandala, Mumbai, Pune Slideshow: Sandip Patil’s trip to Pirangut (near Pune) was created by TripAdvisor. See another Pune slideshow. Create your own stunning free slideshow from your travel photos.

Monday, December 08, 2008

PRIZE- the epic saga of oil : An Introduction

I am writing a book introduction & not a review. For the simple reason that PRiZE is not a reader’s book. It is more like an encyclopaedia (not exhaustive though) of the age of oil. It can be found readable or unreadable by different persons. Personally, I read it like a novel, at the edge of my seat (bed, rather), longing to go home after work every night, just so that I can keep reading the saga. Inspite of the humongous size of 800 pages, it is most catching, excepting a few parts, which I deem unnecessary. The history of American oil is provided in too much depth, and at times it becomes a mere log-book, recording events without any emotion. But, except the American history, the book is most interesting, maybe because it holds international politics as its stage-partner, and dances away gracefully throughout the act!

 

The act lasts for most of the book, and Americans lead it, but they are a part of the oil-men, while the politicians form another circle, mainly middle-eastern.

 

I love the descriptive lengthiness of the book, which most may despise. I would keep it as a historical encyclopaedia, and it turns out well as both for me. I cannot even start to describe the story of oil, as it leads through the discovery & inventors, to business men and the great oil men, to politics and finally nations and the world at large.

 

The book could have a new chapter on current events, and I would have devoured it readily again! Its an endless read, until the age of hydrocarbon ends!

No comments: