Lavasa

Lavasa, Khandala, Mumbai, Pune Slideshow: Sandip Patil’s trip to Pirangut (near Pune) was created by TripAdvisor. See another Pune slideshow. Create your own stunning free slideshow from your travel photos.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Employee Mentality!!!! (oh! is that where you work?)

The first irritation regarding MBAs being vented here, now is the time for those with the EMPLOYEE thing in them! Many a people ask me where i work, and then try to figure out if they have heard the name of the company, probing me till they give up, with an air of: Is it big? or just a start up?

GET A LIFE (AGAIN!!!!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is neighter big, nor a start-up. It is not a company at all! It is a firm, & I happen to be a professional. Architects do not join (usually) companies. They work in studios / firms & some go on to build their own! So don't come here comparing your giant employer to our firm, because a giant employer in our field only means too many overheads & ZERO productivity!

I do not want to rant about creative fields again, so just refer to my post on MBAs for a brief on my profession. What I do want to make crystal clear is that BIG companies do not necessarily mean satisfactory jobs. Why, after asking me so many troublesome questions, do you confide after a few hours: You know my friend had this great package at this MNC, but has decided to hit it off on his / her own?

Do you not hear the sentence you yourself speak? Or are you in some kind of hallucination?
Let me point it out to you: BIG COMPANIES DO NOT MEAN JOB SATISFACTION!
That comes, & surprisingly, from within. It all depends on what kind of person you are. Truly, some companies provide a heavenly space while some are beastmasters, but it all boils down to what you want to live in: perfumed shit or true-to-its-odour shit! This is all that matters!

It is a pathetic culture where we compare pay-packages & employer names, instead of discussing the interesting things we do at work, or the challenges held out to us! The only two things i remember coming up are working hours & perks! If you give a penny to your career, you would hoot at anybody asking you about your pay package. Damn it! Have you ever considered what they wish to pay you for?

I think it is precisely this mentality that brings us down from efficient workers to job-hoppers. Im not saying that job-hopping is good or bad. But, done only for money, it twists the mind into accepting delusions of wealth. We forget our early years when we yearned to do something to change the world!

You think I'm some sanyasi talking gibberish who gives a damn about money? I am as prudent & as greedy as any of you. But, money does not sit on the top of the pyramid. In my short experiences I have learnt, that where there is a raging fire to work, money does not stop flowing. It is our choice, whether we run after money or quality? I, along with many of my colleagues, have experiemented with so many facets of work: pure money, academics, challenges, etc etc. & I have found that even if I'm choosy enough to pick only what interests me & then do with a panache that leaves everybody spellbound, they are driven in hordes for the services we offer.

& this, I have seen, not just in my field, but in most professions on earth. Wherever I have read of business tycoons, they have talked of the need to show their skills, not earn wealth. Wealth has just flown in with all their achievements. We are all aware of this. Yet, sadly we fall for the petty talk on who's getting what & who's working where.

I hope our generation gets its priorities right. If every person were to pursue ONE dream, i count about 1 crore dreams for each generation (at least!) in our country! Even if 10% succeed, that is 1 lac dreams realized, one lac more business opportunies, one lac new ideas & so on!

Ideas have eternal (not just immense) potential to churn money as a bye-product, just earning money is like plucking the bananas for the peels and giving away the sweet fruit to others!

No comments: