Lavasa

Lavasa, Khandala, Mumbai, Pune Slideshow: Sandip Patil’s trip to Pirangut (near Pune) was created by TripAdvisor. See another Pune slideshow. Create your own stunning free slideshow from your travel photos.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Power Walking

Iv been power walking very irregularly since few months. I can walk comfortably 4km every alternate day & 6km every 3rd day. Both to be completed within the hour, and ending by climbing 9 floors upto my house. The last part is most heart-wrenching (literally). Although I end up dead tired, the feeling is actually that of freshness and almost as if I’m high!!! I know exercise can do wonders, and what I’m describing is nothing new, but done at the end of the day, it gives a good night’s sleep and enough vigour next morning (inspite of aching feet and thighs) to lead an energetic day. Iv also increasingly found that since on most days I have a desk job, the days when im in office all day & don’t walk in the evenings, I, infact feel tired and almost depressed. After the walk I’m ready to do 10 more things, while the days when I don’t, I just want to fall asleep. What a difference. I’v had a more or less healthy physical exercise most of my life: be it cricket or cycling 20 km to & fro for school, or jogging a couple kilometres everyday during college. Also, trekking is the thing I look most forward to, though I get very few chances. Iv found myself ready to walk kilometres when travelling in any new area. It really invigorates me from daily work pressure & activities. So, all in all, to anybody who cares to catch some inspiration for daily exercise, I completely support you! Go ahead and get that daily dose! What’s more, its completely free and also keeps your waist under control!!!!

An ode to a power walker

A stray dog in the dark alley looks at me ferociously, waiting
For some stranger like me, not to bite
But scare and assert its right over territory, & yet
I walk on…

A car honks behind me
Almost scraping past me, furious that
Someone actually wants to walk
When one can just ride an automobile, and yet
I walk on…

Few chattering loafers sneer at me, commenting that
Why waste time walking, when
One can just burn it on a game of cricket, and yet
I walk on…

Little girls look at me in amusement, thinking that
One actually goes for walks in the night, sweating it out all the way
For some unknown reason, and yet
I walk on…

A neighbour lesiuring away his time on a streetside bench looks at me, so that
He may start a conversation to pass his time,
And is surprised that I hardly stop while returning his greeting, and yet
I walk on…

Some PYTs pass by and taunt me, feeling that
How uncool it is to walk alone on the street when
One can do it with some interesting company in a gym, and yet
I walk on…

For all those who feel walking outside is no fun…
With all due respect, have you ever:

Felt the sun on your face…
Been ahead in a dog-chase…

Seen the leaves closing for the night…
And birds on their returning flight…

An occasional owl in a dark corner…
A labourer’s family having their supper…

Leisure to observe passing people…
Quietude to hear the water ripple...

When you discover these smaller joys…
I will not have to explain the whys…
That your mind asks of me.

No comments: